Two Months Before You Move
- Sort through your possessions and decide what items you no longer need. It's best to donate or discard those items before the move.
- Have your antiques, fine art and other valuables appraised for insurance purposes.
- Request estimates from professional movers or truck rental companies.
- Start a file of paperwork related to the move (contacts, receipts, estimates).
- Make any necessary travel arrangements (hotels, airfare, etc.).
- Notify the U.S. Postal Service, publications, creditors, banks and others of your change of address.
One Month Before You Move
- Contact the utility companies at both your new home and your current home to set up/cancel service.
- Designate an out-of-the-way area in your home as a holding area for packed items.
- Begin packing nonessential items.
- Consult with your insurance agent to determine how your property is insured while it is in transit.
- Make your reservation with the moving company.
Two to Three Weeks Before You Move
- Continue packing.
- Have a moving sale.
- Arrange for local charities to pick up unwanted items (be sure to get a receipt for tax purposes).
- Return any borrowed items and retrieve anything you've loaned to friends or neighbors.
- Make arrangements to have school, medical, dental and veterinary records transferred.
One Week Before You Move
- Continue packing.
- Confirm your reservation with the moving company.
- Place items you plan to move yourself in a separate area to avoid confusion.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing, toiletries, medications, first aid kit etc., for the first night in your new home.
- Set aside a box for essential items like toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, etc., that will be needed immediately after you move in.
- Disconnect, defrost and prepare any appliances that will be moved.
- Drain lawn equipment and power tools of gas and oil and drain garden hoses of water.
- Make sure that you or your representative is present at your old residence to answer the mover's questions.
- Read the bill of lading prepared by your mover carefully before signing it.
- Check your possessions as they are brought into your new home, noting any damage.
- Expect to pay your mover with cash, a certified check or a traveler's check, unless you have previously negotiated another arrangement.