Storing Outdoor Decorations
If you wondered how you were going to store that 10-foot inflatable Santa Claus at the end of the holiday season, have we got some ideas for you! With a little planning, you can efficiently store and organize all of your outdoor holiday trimmings so they’re in prime condition next year.
- If you have elaborate outdoor decorations, consider taking detailed photographs of the set-up before you dismantle it to save time next year. Replace anything that’s broken or worn out before storing items for the season — don’t waste time carefully packaging something you won’t even use next year!
- Organize items into categories such as lights, garland, inflatable decorations, artificial trees, light sculptures, etc. Keep like items together, so it’s fast and easy to find them next year.
- Choose containers that are just the right size for what you’re storing, with some extra room for any necessary cushioning. Using containers that are clear and easy to see through — or containers in the colors of the season — to make it easy to spot what you’ve stored in the attic or garage.
- Label the containers with details about what’s inside and where it should be used. For example, you might mark a box containing garland that is just the right fit for your entryway stairwell so that there’s no guessing which area of your home it’s meant for next year.
- To make next year’s outdoor holiday set up easier, number the containers in order of how they should be unpacked. Create a list of items used in each area and keep it with the photographs you took of the set-up so you are ready to go next year.